Raina Merchant, Eugenia South, and Nicole Lurie share four strategies to advance public health messaging amid the COVID-19 pandemic. In the piece, the experts advise deploying countermeasures for misinformation, surveillance of digital data to inform messaging, partnering with trusted messengers, and promoting equity through messaging.
In Healthcare: The Journal of Delivery Science and Innovation, our team members describe a 3-year journey to apply innovation principles to 1. Understand drivers of avoidable emergency department use 2. Develop a telemedicine-based solution, and 3. operationalize the service. Today, PennMedicineOnDemand (PMOD), is available to over 60,000 Penn Medicine employees and their family members. PMOD facilitates an average of more than 2,500 visits per month and has played a central role in Penn Medicine's COVID-response efforts.
It's a new year, and the Penn Medicine Nudge Unit has a lot in store for 2021. In a new blog post, Mitesh Patel previews studies the team will be releasing results from soon, including the largest-ever communication research study aimed at increasing flu vaccinations. The team hopes the results of the study will be well-timed to assist with encouraging COVID-19 vaccinations.
Save the date for the Nudges in Health Care Symposium on May 20, 2021. The symposium will be virtual, and registration is free. Complete the form below to be notified when registration opens.
Raina Merchant was named one of "1,000 Inspiring Black Scientists in America." The list recognizes individuals who have made outstanding contributions to science and demonstrated a commitment to serving diverse student populations.
- Don't let COVID-19 fears keep you from seeking needed emergency care, The Philadelphia Inquirer
- The dash to adapt smartwatches to help detect Covid infections, Knowable Magazine
- Wearable Devices to Monitor and Reduce the Risk of Cardiovascular Disease: Evidence and Opportunities, Annual Review of Medicine
- Beyond the bedside: Clinicians as guardians of public health, medicine and science, The American Journal of Emergency Medicine
- Nudge Unit Supports Physician, Patient Behavioral Changes Towards Medical Decisions that Improve Care Value and Quality of Care, Patient Safety Network
- Racial, socioeconomic gaps apparent in telemedicine, Healio
- Women are less likely to use video for telehealth care, Healthcare IT News
- Some Americans Can't Access Telemedicine, Study Shows, U.S. News and World Report
- The CMS Care Model Is Falling Short Of Its Promise. Could Oncology Hospital At Home Be The Remedy? Health Affairs Blog
- Pandemic Mental Health: Entering the 'Fourth Wave'?, MedPage Today